DAV PUBLIC SCHOOL, SEC-8C, CHANDIGARH
Guidelines / Advisory for parents from DEO
1. Having correct information about an issue is extremely important. The media reports on the issue do not make it clear whether the role of this game/challenge in the recent cases of suicides has been verified yet or not. Your child probably knows about the Blue Whale Challenge because of the media frenzy around this issue. Having said that, due to the uncertainty around this issue, there is a need to take certain measures to inform children and interact with them to avoid any mishaps.
2. Make sure that your child has access to age appropriate online sites which do not promote unethical
behavior or violence.
3. Always ensure that your child accesses internet from a computer placed in the family space.
4. Talk to your child more often. Explore the online world together and engage in interesting activities
demonstrating ethical and safe online behavior.
5. Use parental controls on all the devices used by your child. Monitor the screen time and keep an eye on
his/her online activities.
6. Be a role model of your child. Be conscious of your own online activities.
7. Talk to other parents, share concerns of any and discuss best ways to help your children.
8. Keep yourself updated with recent internet phenomena.
9. Observe your child’s behavior closely. Be alert to any unusual changes like moodiness, less or no
communication, lack of interest in studies and falling grades. If you notice any such changes, closely
monitor his/her online activities, talk to school authorities or consult a child psychologist.
10. If you find out that your child is already playing the Blue Whale Challenge, immediately stop him/her
using the internet from any devices.